I am always going on about lists.
Some people even call me the queen of lists.
But most of my lists are to do lists and bucket lists. Lists of things that I still want to achieve or things that need to be done ASAP or I have to face the consequences, which are usually sleepless nights thinking about how much I have to do.
Well, this week I decided to do a different kind of list. Not only a list of things that I have done but of all the things that I have learned this week when I opened my eyes (and my mind) wide enough to notice them.
So here is my list so far, and it is definitely a work in progress:
- If Japanese tourists want to take a picture of you doing mundane tasks, like driving, just smile and wave.
- People prefer chocolate cake recipes to advice on how to cope with stress. And some people love eating chocolate cake more than talking about their problems. So obviously chocolate could just be the answer to a lot of the world’s problems!
- What seems terrible one day, might not feel that bad the next day.
- Reflexology fixes a lot of problems.
- Not everyone sees the world the same way that you do and it is not worth getting upset about it. People will do what they want to do. And there is not a lot that you can do about it.
- Getting enough sleep is important but it is not worth obsessing about it.
- Talk to strangers, you never know what no ideas you can learn from them (yes, I know that your parents probably told you not to talk to strangers but hopefully you’re old enough to know the difference.)
- Lavender oil fixes a lot of problems.
- Sometimes the people who you think are meant to give you the most support don’t and the people that you least expect it from do. There is no perfect ideal for who should care the most for you.
- Smile! It makes all the difference.
Now make your own list for this week.
Even better, buy or make your own lessons learned journal. It might end up being an amazing keepsake or something that you can pass down to the next generation.
Whatever happens, if you get into the habit of doing this exercise, you will start to see the world in a different light.
And you can make it a good one!