Happy new year everyone!
I hope that this is going to be a year of self discovery, learning and finding peace.
Those of you who have been around me or have been reading my blog for years (thank you very much!) know that I hate the concept of new year’s resolutions.
Yet, I make them anyway because when do you get a greater time to make change than from the very beginning of a brand new year?
That doesn’t mean that you can’t make resolutions whenever you want – make them as often as you want. Don’t worry either if you fail on one of your resolutions, keep trying or take the failure as a clear indicator that you need to do things differently for a change.
Here are some of the things that I have decided to do for 2016 (and I would love it if you joined me in one or two or all of them):
1. Care less. It sounds horrible but I know that I care too much about too many people. My very kind friends have told me that caring is part of my personality and that I shouldn’t change but I am trying to care a little bit less so that I make a little more time for myself and my happiness.
2. Always (ok, close to often) have well manicured nails – the first thing that people see when they reach out their hand to greet you is your hands. A well groomed hand says a lot. Buy that funky coloured nail varnish…
3. Smile more – before people shake your hands, they notice your face (I hope). Smile! Even if you don’t necessarily feel like smiling, if you make yourself look happier, you generally feel more positive and so does the person who is looking at you. Unless you are grimacing – don’t grimace!
4. You may meet shy people who don’t look you in the eye and don’t extend their hand to you. They tend to look down when they talk to you – which leads me to my next point: wear awesome shoes!
If you don’t feel awesome, then wear nervous breakdown shoes, which is a whole other story.
5. Learn a new skill this year – creativity is the one thing that absolutely keeps me calm so I am going to learn a new craft. You can learn a new skill, gain a new hobby, sign up for a new course (remember that there are thousands of free online courses) or just teach yourself something that you’ve always wanted to do.
6. Do something that scares you – choose to do the thing that you have been putting off, confront someone who needs confronting, go ahead and book that bungee jump (I won’t be joining you but feel free to do it anyway)
7. Be less worried about order and control and therefore, I am going to calmly only have 7 points on my list even though my logical brain is telling me to keep it even – a nice number like 10. Sometimes, we have to live a little chaotically and see what will happen and where life will take us with less planning and less need to have control.
I would love to hear what your plans for the year are.
Let’s make it wonderful!