Today is the 4th of May – or more accurately, May the Fourth (international Star Wars Day)
Since we celebrate Star Wars Day, here are some important lessons that I have learned from Star Wars.
- You can learn something from somebody younger than you. Just because you are older (and seemingly more experienced), doesn’t mean that a younger person can’t teach you something new. They may have had an experience or have a skill that you don’t. So be humble (see Anakin Skywalker’s pod racing abilities)
- Big ideas can come in small packages – Yoda is enough proof of that. Don’t judge people by their size, race or gender. Everybody has a story to tell, everybody has something that they can teach you.
- Use the force (okay, we don’t have Jedi force although that would be really great!) but your attitude could be your force. The way that you treat people could be your power. Think about how powerful you really are (and don’t ever let anybody tell you otherwise)
- Yoda says “Do or not do, there is no try” – we are so afraid of failure that we often don’t even start to try. If there is something that you want to do, commit to it and do it!
- Your biggest fears are within yourself. You really need to look deeply at yourself before you look on the outside. How much of what you fear is about your own negative stories that you create around that fear?
- If you have a bad feeling about something, try to trust your instinct (or your Jedi abilities) – usually you have a bad feeling for a reason, so don’t put yourself at risk unless you really love danger.
- Sometimes the person who looks or acts the strangest can be your closest friend. A wookiee and a person can be great partners. We can be wonderful friends with people from different cultures, races and religions if we are prepared to see beyond the ‘box’
- Stand up for what is right – even if it is your father that is your enemy.
- Yoda said “when 900 year you will reach, look as good you will not” – learn to love (or at least like) yourself as you are – in a beauty and looks orientated material world, it is easy to forget that true beauty comes from within
- Sometimes you need to leave your comfort zone (or even your planet) in order to really start fulfilling your destiny
May the fourth (or even the force) be with you!