Stress can make you feel so overwhelmed that you feel like you are going to blow up or that you want to hibernate or run away forever.
There isn’t an easy answer to dealing with such huge problems but there are some manageable steps that you can take:
1. Remove yourself from the situation. If you can get away from the room or the building that you are sitting in or stay away from your computer or phone for a few minutes then do it. Take a short walk (slam the door on the way out if you really have to), regroup, breathe deeply and return.
2. Stay away from social media for a while. It really doesn’t help for you to see people whose lives seem to be awesome when yours feels like it is falling apart. You also don’t need to be part of anyone else’s drama.
3. Declutter! Clear your desk, delete emails and messages (not the important ones), get rid of the things around you that are unnecessary. When your mind feels cluttered with your problems, you don’t need physical objects cluttering your space too.
4. Talk to somebody. It doesn’t mean that you have to offload all of your problems on them but just tell someone that you are not coping and that you are stressed. They might be feeling the same way too. If there is absolutely nobody to talk to then write it down or illustrate it so that you can still express yourself.
5. Make time (no matter what) just to do something for yourself. It might just be a few minutes but it is essential that you do something nice for yourself (I’m not talking about buying another pair of shoes! Though who am I to judge you?)
6. Find a project that will keep you motivated. Do you have a room that needs painting? Sort out your photos. Create something quirky. Learn a new skill. Play a game. Take up a new sport…
I know that you feel so tired and stressed and overwhelmed right now but it will pass. Just do the best that you can to cope in this moment.
I know that you can do it!