Today is World Mental Health Day so here are some ideas on how to mark the day and make it meaningful:
1. Sit down and discuss your diagnosis with somebody who may not understand mental health issues. You don’t need to tell them about your problems or what happened to you but just share some information on what it is like to have anxiety, depression, bipolar etc.
2. Do something nice for somebody who you know is going through a difficult time. Buy them a cup of tea, share your chocolate, give them a flower, give a compliment.
3. Do something to nurture yourself today – treat yourself to a manicure, lie down quietly with a book, doodle on a scrap of paper, start a journal, meditate, light a candle next to your bath.
4. Eat or drink something healthy and nourishing.
5. Offer to help somebody in need.
6. Greet every person that you meet with a smile (don’t worry if they don’t smile back – that’s their problem).
7. Take a moment to count your blessings. Write them down or share them with somebody.
8. Spend a few minutes just breathing deeply (preferably outside in the fresh air)
9. Send an sms or whatsapp to somebody that you haven’t spoken to in a while – tell them that you are thinking of them and that you care.
10. Tell your manager (or your partner or kids) that it is World Mental Health day and for the sake of your mental health, you will be leaving work/responsibilities early today (okay if not today, make sure you schedule a day off or a few hours off for quality ‘me time’).